Wednesday 23 April 2014

A Norfolk Ramble, part 3 - The bus stop's here!

Bus shelter on Station approach, SheringhamBus shelter at Sheringham, 11/04/14

This little structure stands on Railway Approach in Sheringham, just by the entrance to the North Norfolk Railway station. I can't tell you much about it other than I believe it dates from the 1930s and I'm guessing that it once had Crittall windows filling those huge holes in the walls.

But take a closer look at what's inside!

Bus shelter mural, SheringhamM&GNJR locomotive mural, 11/04/14

A mural depicting a Midland & Great Northern Joint Railway class C 4-4-0 steam locomotive, a type that would have operated on the former M&GNJR line that runs a few yards behind the shelter. This area became known as Poppy Land after the term was coined in the 19th century by the poet and theatre critic Clement Scott and the NNR is marketed as 'The Poppy Line' hence the abundance of Poppies in the mural.

Unfortunately I've no idea who the artist is, if anyone can furnish me with that information I'd be grateful.

Edit:Thanks to Clive Hughes for letting me know that Colin Seal is the artist in question, for more information on Colin's work see this BBC Norfolk article.

No comments:

Post a Comment